Saturday 13 February 2010

Female Chauvinism

This is something I wrote in my first year in EFLU. A very inspired piece, I must say.

According to Wikipedia, chivalry consists of the following:
1. 1. Willingness to give up your life for a ‘noble cause’.
2. 2. Obedience to religion.
3. 3. Courtesy, especially towards women.
Joining the army just to be called chivalrous is like buying a minor airliner for the complimentary peanuts. I personally think that defending your nation, etc are nice things to do, but let it go to people whose mentality is better suited to it. Noble Causes are not my cup of tea. I would probably do better elsewhere. This part of chivalry is still present, and is drilled into the head of every soldier subconsciously. But they have bigger things to worry about than this, so let it go for now.
Obedience to religion is the last thing I would associate myself with, having been classified as a raving atheist. This is not associated with chivalry anymore, so I guess my religious views don’t matter.
According to Radhika and Manasa I am chivalrous, so I guess point 3 is good for me (and other unfortunate people).
What some women do not realize is that point 3 was born out of male chauvinism. To be more precise it was born out of condescension towards women (opening doors to protect delicate little hands, etc). That has been regarded as a major offense ever since women were allowed to vote in the West. Since point 3 was useful and minor, women decided to keep it. A lot of them still insist on us doing things for them such as carrying little things, giving up seats in buses etc. Making a fuss about a minor irritant is not something men (especially chivalrous men) do. The fact that it is indoctrinated in a way similar to religion makes it harder on men, and becomes an integral part of the male ego, that most men cannot seem to survive without. Bollywood and other mainstream influences continue this, and propagate it to an ever wider audience, serving it up as an essential side dish to the fight scenes conducted to save the female lead (This is not a heroine, this is female lead).
Even now, my brand of equality seems to surprise many women, which is more annoying than anything else. We men don’t even get anything in return for chivalry except for some good will. This is earned by general politeness all round anyway. Adding up, nothing is left of chivalry except for men doing things for women for no good reason, being used if you will, therefore the term female chauvinism.

· P.S. Since this article is on female chauvinism, no criticism will be accepted from any female, as they are likely to be prejudiced against me.

· P..P.S. Validation! This came to my notice just now, and here's to those who still don't believe me.

3 comments: